Bowling With No Panties

Everybody's a critic. I am actually right.

Friday, August 11, 2006

Mi mi mi mi mi mi miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii......


Oh, Mick.

What's next? Keef taking guitar lessons?

I was blasting "Exile On Main Street" in my car the other day and it struck me that I think my abject love for them means I'm kind of old.

Let me explain, I have this uncle. Don't get me wrong, all THREE of my Uncles are wicked cool in their own right. I love them all equally. But they're cool in different ways.

Uncle S (married to my mother's sister) is a badass who is wicked smart and super kind and is one of the best husbands I've ever seen close up. He's gruff but soft inside and I love making fun of him. I blow his mind with my East Coast viciousness and irreverence. I know he digs it. I love him to DEATH.

Uncle P (my Dad's brother) is just a wild character. Uncle P dropped out of mortuary school and became a lifeguard. He is my godfather and my earliest memory of him is this hairy loud guy who swung me up on his shoulders when I was about 2 or 3. He wouldn't put me down even though I beat on his head for about an hour. He scared the crap out of me. He is brutually honest, hysterically funny, and I love the hell out of him.

Uncle W (married to my Dad's sister) is a rock star in my eyes. This guy had a huge blonde fro' in the 70's, wore a top hat to his wedding, and is the sunniest good natured guy you'd ever meet. He was "cool" when all the other adults in my life were squares or bossing me around. Uncle W had the most amazing album collection. He liked the Dead. He loves singer/songwriters, (Harry Chapin is such a favorite he named his CAT Harry Chapin) and he is the one who tried to tell me how awesome the Stones were when I turned my nose up at them in favor of Duran Duran or Van Halen.

The year "Emotional Rescue" came out, I was visiting the family and Uncle W was playing that album nonstop. He told me then, "This is ok, but it's nowhere near as good at Sticky Fingers." I rolled my eyes and that adorable adolescent way and thought, "WHATEVER!" or whatever it was we said back in the 80's to denote dismissal and condescension.

Back to the now = I was singing along with "Loving Cup" (track 9 on Exile on Main Street) at the top of my lungs and it hit me that these guys really knew what the hell they were talking about. They know the pain of love, the pain of yearning to get naked with someone and not feeling like they were quite in the object of their desire's league but being ballsy enough to try it anyway, using their lowliness as a selling point.

I wouldn't understand any of this back at the age of 14 or however old I was when Uncle W was about my age NOW. I hadn't lived. I hadn't burned for someone. I hadn't felt my lowliness in the presence of someone I had put on a pedestal. I hadn't lost someone I knew out in the bars after near misses and acute connection (Let It Loose), I hadn't missed someone and thought of them on a long road trip (Moonlight Mile). I hadn't had a near death experience yet (Sister Morphine), I hadn't lifted my subjective head to see the chaos in the world around me (Gimme Shelter). I don't think I could have appreciated what I appreciate now without maturity. Therefore, I am old. Don't get me wrong, I can still sing "Hungry Like The Wolf" with glee, including the sexy girly noises in all the right places, but it doesn't MOVE ME like a Stones song.

Mick's voice -- for all it's technical shortcomings -- had one thing back then that couldn't be taught. He had the rawness of the real. He had passion and pain comingled with cockiness. He was sadder but wiser and didn't take it all that seriously. All of this conveyed just in the way he sang "Ohhhhh" or how he sang "Yeahhhhh".

I would love the shoot the beans with him til' dawn. (If I had a time machine, that is.)


LOVING CUP
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.
I'm the plowman in the valley with a face full of mud.
Yes, I'm fumbling and I know my car don't start.
Yes, I'm stumbling and I know I play a bad guitar.

Give me little drink from your loving cup.
Just one drink and I'll fall down drunk.

I'm the man who walks the hillside in the sweet summer sun.
I'm the man that brings you roses when you ain't got none.
Well I can run and jump and fish, but I won't fight
You if you want to push and pull with me all night.

Give me little drink from you loving cup.
Just one drink and I'll fall down drunk.

I feel so humble with you tonight,
Just sitting in front of the fire.
See your face dancing in the flame,
Feel your mouth kissing me again,
What a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz,
What a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz.
Oh, what a beautiful buzz, what a beautiful buzz.

Yes, I am nitty gritty and my shirt's all torn,
But I would love to spill the beans with you till dawn.

Give me little drink from your loving cup.
Just one drink and I'll fall down drunk.

8 Comments:

  • At 8:21 AM, Blogger Spill The Beans said…

    Good post. I had a similar experience with Bob Dylan's "Shelter From the Storm" and CSN&Y's Carry On/Questions this year after my divorce...when life has broken you on the altar of love, girly emo bands just can't quite cut it.

    Even Joni Mitchell is frequently on my CD player these days when I'm feeling sentimental or nostalgic.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Blogger Scott from Oregon said…

    I love that bowling picture. It brought me here to see who is clever enough to bowl without tripping in such attire.

    I'm with you heart and soul against the cheesy side of the music biz.

    As I age, I've fallen further into the folk side of the groove, simply because I like to "hear" a guitar and be affected by "words".

    Gregg Brown type of levity, maybe some John Prine...

    I don't need to shake my brain or play air guitar anymore, though it's hard not to go retro when Robert Plant tell her "Baby I'm not foolin'"...

    Scott--

     
  • At 6:16 PM, Blogger Slinky Redfoot said…

    "I am nitty gritty"
    what a line!

     
  • At 5:02 AM, Blogger Maulleigh said…

    OMG I suck. You inspired me to go to my itunes and play some rolling stones. All I have on it are "Some Girls" and "Beggars Banquet." Two great albumns but NOT ENOUGH. I know I have exile on Mainstreet. Oh, this is bothersome indeed.

     
  • At 7:28 AM, Blogger Slinky Redfoot said…

    Mauls get Let it Bleed, Exile and Sticky Fingers and you'll be set!!

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger archeress said…

    hi bowling (and others), please send me if you can, some names of songs you consider good that have come out since 2002 or so. i'm sort of out of the current loop and have to teach harmony and counterpoint this fall - want to examine rhythm as well. would be nice to have a couple of "good" more recent 'on the charts' pieces to mix up with their helpings of bach and beethoven i'm obligated to shove down. (i might use eleanor rigby to study the string quartet arrangement in there, but that's all the beatles i want.)

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger Spill The Beans said…

    Try "Steady As She Goes" by the Raconteurs and "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley.

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music. Only "entertainer(s)" to record a gazillion songs without one flop. Amazing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home