Bowling With No Panties

Everybody's a critic. I am actually right.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A Song That Saved My Life

Track #14 from Exile On Main Street, my 3rd Favorite Rolling Stones album is Let It Loose. In the early stages of a major life change, I would listen to this album every morning at my desk at work. It was almost like taking a vitamin. I had to hear the first song to wake me up..."The sunshine bores the daylights out of me, chasing shadows, moonlight mystery.." I'd sort of zone out and tune in when the songs I loved rolled around, until I'd hear the opening fingerpicked notes to Let It Loose. Sure, it's another broken relationship song, the lyrics are secondary to the tone of the music. Mick's voice sounded like my soul felt on those mornings -- raw and wretched, full of longing and regret. Then the horns come in...those horns, slow and mournful building and building with the background singers. Sheer tortured bliss. This song scratched open the old scars and allowed me to grieve. This song was the mirror to my pain. This song saved my life.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger Maulleigh said…

    Thank you for reminding me how f*cking great that song is. Truly one of their best. That and the "may the good lord shine a light on you" song; makes me cry sometimes. ;)

     
  • At 5:45 AM, Blogger bowling with no panties said…

    I FUCKING LOVE THAT SONG!!! I'd skip over the song in between.

    "When your drunk in the alley baby, with your clothes all torn
    and your late night friends all leave you in the cold gray dawn
    , just seen to many flies on you and I just can't brush them off!"

    I read in "Old Gods Soon Dead" that Mick wrote that song about Keef.

     
  • At 8:31 AM, Blogger Slinky Redfoot said…

    the best part of that song is when the horns kick in, the last 3rd of the tune. it's like he finally lets loose and cries. Very Otis Redding.
    my all time fave Stones album.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home