Bowling With No Panties

Everybody's a critic. I am actually right.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

On A Motown Bender

Michael Jackson may be a total freak now, but damn did the Jackson 5 ever put out some really great music way back in the day. Or should I say Berry Gordy? That Motown sound always reminds me of summer, and since it's hot outside I have the jones for some great old music.

My favorite Motown songs:

1. Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross
2. I Want You Back -- Jackson 5
3. Reach Out I'll Be There -- The Four Tops
4. You Really Got A Hold On Me -- Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
5. 25 Miles -- Edwin Starr
6. Love Child -- The Supremes
7. Please Mr. Postman -- The Marvelettes
8. What Becomes of The Broken Hearted -- Jimmy Ruffin
9. You Are Everything -- Marvin Gaye & Diana Ross (this version is awesome because of Marvin Gaye)
10. Midnight Train to Georgia -- Gladys Knight and the Pips.

One of the greatest documentaries I have ever seen was
Standing In The Shadows Of Motown.
It's all about the session musicians also known as the Funk Brothers who recorded at Hitsville USA and went uncredited on most of the songs I mentioned above and hundreds more. It is touching, funny, fascinating and sad. I loved this movie so much that I actually went and saw the Funk Brothers when they came to Manhattan, but was crushed that it was only two of them and a bunch of younger folks they hired to sing the big Motown hits.

I forgot "Tears Of A Clown" and "I Second That Emotion" -- more great songs from Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. "A taste of honey is worse than none at all". Sho nuff, Smokey.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Maulleigh said…

    I wish wish wish I could sing Midnight Train to Georgia like Gladys. I sing along with her, but my voice is soooo sucky compared to it. I have happy memories of that song: I used to work at a bar where at 2:00 a.m. we'd close, order pizza, play pool and play that song and Georgia on my Mind by whats-his-face. Those were GOOD TIMES INDEED!!

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Daily Hater said…

    I'm glad you included Midnight Train to Georgia.

    What is your favorite song about the state of Georgia?

    Nominees include:
    Midnight Train to Georgia - GKATP
    Georgia on My Mind - Ray Charles
    The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia - Vicki Lawrence
    The Devil Went Down to Georgia - Charlie Daniels Band
    Sweet Georgia Brown

    Mine is The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia

     
  • At 7:04 AM, Blogger Laura Bora from Bufadora said…

    I will have to say Midnight Train To Georgia but my favorite song about the South is from The Band -- The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

    Another favorite song that MENTIONS Georgia is "Sittin' On the Dock of The Bay" -- I love Otis Redding with my whole heart and soul. He died too young. The Michael Bolton version almost made me despise this song but I just pretend that never happened. It's for the best.

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger Marcie said…

    Daily Hater- You forgot "Rainy Night in Georgia" by Brook Benton (I think)

    My favorite Mowtown songs are "I'll Be Around" The Spinners and "Papa was a Rolling Stone" The Temptations.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home